To begin with on PrEP, confer with your regular physician or nursing assistant, or search well for a intimate health Clinic. You can also find other clinics that offer PrEP by calling 311 or visiting the NYC wellness Map.
Is PrEP right for me personally?
To discover if PrEP is suitable for you, first get tested for HIV. PrEP is actually for HIV-negative individuals who’re prepared to just take an everyday pill.
You should think about PrEP that is taking if:
- Usually do not always utilize condoms during intercourse
- Recently had a intimately transmitted illness (sti)
- Have significantly more than one partner that is sexual
- Have partner who has got intercourse along with other lovers
- Have partner who’s got HIV and a detectable or unknown load that is viral
- Want to conceive by having a partner who’s got HIV
- Have partner who will not obtain an HIV test
- Have sexual intercourse for cash, medications or even an accepted destination to remain
- Inject medications or have partner whom injects medications
So how exactly does PrEP stop HIV?
If you’re confronted with HIV, the medications in PrEP stop the herpes virus from distributing through your human anatomy, preventing an HIV disease. PrEP just works so you need to take PrEP every day if you have enough medicine in your body.
Truvada® — the only medicine currently authorized as PrEP — is a mix of emtricitabine (Emtriva®) and tenofovir (Viread®). They are equivalent medicines that are safe lots of people with HIV used to remain healthy.
Is PrEP safe? Do you know the unwanted effects?
PrEP is safe. Truvada®, has been utilized to deal with individuals with HIV since 2004.
Many people on PrEP usually do not report any negative effects. For people who do, the absolute most side that is common are sickness, upset belly, tiredness and headaches. These signs usually get better or go away in the month that is first of PrEP. Rare negative effects consist of bone or kidney dilemmas. Your medical professional or nursing assistant will allow you to handle any unwanted effects.
How good does PrEP work?
PrEP decreases the possibility of getting HIV through intercourse by over 90% for those who just take the product at the least four times per week. Your HIV danger is a lot reduced invest the PrEP each day.
Since PrEP had been introduced in 2012, this has assisted reduce new HIV infections across new york.
I still have to use condoms if I take PrEP, do?
PrEP can be A hiv that is effective choice for individuals who don’t use condoms each time they have sexual intercourse, but PrEP just protects you against HIV. Condoms prevent other STIs and pregnancy that is unintended.
Just how do I just just just take PrEP?
With PrEP, you are taking a supplement as soon as a time, also on times you don’t have sex or inject medications.
PrEP is recommended by way of a physician or nursing assistant.
- Before you begin PrEP: your physician or nurse will test one to ensure that you don’t have HIV and therefore your kidneys and liver are healthier.
- You every three months for HIV and at least every six months for other STIs while you are on PrEP: Your doctor or nurse will test.
For more information on what to anticipate whenever taking PrEP, see the consumer’s Guide to PrEP (PDF) Espaсol.
Just how long does it just take for PrEP to the office?
Studies claim that you ought to just just take day-to-day PrEP for at minimum:
- 7 days before PrEP provides protection that is maximum you may be the receptive or “bottom” partner during anal intercourse.
- Twenty times before PrEP provides protection that is maximum you might be the receptive partner during genital intercourse, or whenever you inject medications.
It is really not yet understood just how many times you will need to just simply take PrEP you are the insertive or “top” partner during anal or vaginal sex before it can provide maximum protection when.
How do I pay money for PrEP?
In ny State, PrEP is included in Medicaid & most medical insurance plans.
You may be eligible for a patient assistance program that helps pay for PrEP if you do not have insurance or have a high co-pay. Medical clinics can additionally assist patients apply. You are able to enlist into a low-cost insurance policy by calling 311.
Find out about your re Payment alternatives for PrEP (PDF).
Can I get PrEP if i will be an immigrant that is undocumented
Immigration status will not influence your capability to obtain PrEP. You are able to properly consult with staff at our Sexual Health Clinics about how your immigration status may impact your alternatives for PrEP as well as other HIV prevention practices.
If i’m included in my moms and dads’ insurance coverage, will they be notified that i will be on PrEP?
No. Even although you are more youthful than 18, parental authorization is not needed to start out PrEP. Your PrEP prescription and visits that are related the center will likely to be private.
You can take steps to stop an “Explanation of Benefits” form from being sent to your parents or policyholder if you are covered by your parents’ insurance. Your PrEP provider can really help you with this particular procedure.
exactly How else may I stay HIV-negative?
- Realize about crisis PEP. You were recently exposed to HIV, go immediately to your doctor or an emergency room and ask for PEP, an emergency medication that can prevent HIV if you are not taking PrEP and think. You may also phone the NYC PEP hotline at 844-3-PEPNYC (844-373-7692), to get going on PEP immediately. The hotline can be acquired 24/7.
- Use condoms normally that you can. Get the type and size of condom you want. Condoms are around for free in most five boroughs. To locate our where you are able to get yourself a free condom, call 311 or go to the NYC Health Map
- Utilize lube. Utilize water-based or silicone-based lubricant, specially during rectal intercourse.
- Get tested for HIV. An HIV test may be the only method to understand if you or even a partner has HIV.
- Confer with your lovers about evaluation. Pose a question to your intercourse lovers concerning the final time they had an HIV test. To be certain, get tested together.
- Help your lovers coping with HIV. Encourage partners coping with HIV to obtain HIV care and simply simply just take their medicines every so they stay healthy and do not pass HIV to others day.
- Get examined for any other STIs. STIs causes it to be simpler to get or spread HIV.
- Avoid drugs and alcohol if you have intercourse. Consuming or getting high if you have intercourse causes it to be difficult to keep in mind to utilize condoms. For assist to end using, call 888-NYC-WELL (888-692-9355). Interpreters are around for over 200 languages.
- Utilize https://www.yourbrides.us/russian-brides clean syringes (PDF). In the event that you inject medications, avoid sharing syringes, cookers, cottons and medication solutions. Learn where you could get syringes that are clean the town.
PrEP for Women
PrEP is an effective hiv avoidance selection for cisgender and transgender ladies whenever taken daily.
Women that have genital intercourse must be specially careful to simply just take PrEP each day to keep sufficient medicine in their genital muscle to stop an HIV infection.
Ladies who have intercourse with ladies and whom can be subjected to HIV through sex or injecting medications can benefit from PrEP also.
Will PrEP restrict my birth prevention?
No. Studies have shown that PrEP doesn’t restrict hormone-based birth prevention. PrEP just prevents HIV, which means you still need certainly to make use of birth prevention or condoms to stop pregnancy that is unintended other STIs.
Will PrEP affect my hormones treatment?
No. There’s no proof that PrEP interacts with estrogens (or progestins) or impacts the quantities of hormones within you. Studies have discovered that transgender women that simply take PrEP daily are protected from HIV.
Can I simply just just take PrEP while hoping to get pregnant or nursing?
Yes. PrEP can protect ladies who want to conceive a kid having A hiv-positive partner. PrEP is safe for the child and mother both during and after maternity, and contains perhaps perhaps perhaps not demonstrated an ability to impact fertility.
If you’d like to simply simply take PrEP while attempting to conceive, consult with your medical professional. You may have to consult a specialist to get more guidance about making use of PrEP in this way.